Hi Patrick,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 02:08:42PM +0000, Patrick Niklaus wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The 5.6.0 release features some great new features. Most importantly
> we now support the infamous issue
> [#77](https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/77): Routing
> on generic weights, not only the duration. This increased our resource
> usage quite a bit, so if you are running global deployments make sure
> you have enough headroom before upgrading. The car profile makes use
> of this new feature by penalizing turns onto restricted streets
> (hov-only, `access=destination`) heavily. This makes sure we don't
> route through them but still support starting/stopping from them. We

access=destination is IMHO a bad example for this. Penalizing those
edges heavily will cause OSRM to very hard try to use the next
possibility to leave the access=destination segments or to enter
them at the very last possibility. The cost for using
access=destination roads is not proportional to the amount of distance
you travel on that road, but its a one time cost entering the
road/segment/area.

In the end most of the time access=destination based roads build a
subgraph e.g. multiple interconnected roads and the area itself
is access=destination.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de