I don't think outputting to stderr is feasible as OpenSSL might be used in
a use case that has no tty connected.  Likewise there is no guarantee that
syslog will exist.

What would likely be reasonable would be a two fold approach:
1) Issue a warning on build if TLS1.1/1.0 were enabled at build time (or
some other build time notification)
2) augment openssl version (or other openssl applet) to indicate that
TLS1.1/1.0 support is built in but is deprecated