Hello Folks,

I am looking into how to get one agent host NOT to induce the OSSEC
server host to trigger an active response block on an another agent
host as a result of some action by that source agent host that would
normally trigger said active response. Example: source agent host
Apple1 tries to do something on host Apple2 on the same subnet.
Unfortunately, this action falls under a rule that triggers an active
response from the server resulting in Apple1 blocking Apple2 - this is
an unwanted reaction.

The closest I have come to a solution comes from the OSSEC
documentation:
http://www.ossec.net/wiki/Know_How:Ignore_Rules

"
Ignoring snort message

If you want to ignore the log from the #Introduction, you can use
"id", "srcip", etc for it.
Jun  3 15:34:33 saratoga.denmantire.com snort[27016]: [122:3:0]
(portscan)
TCP Portsweep {PROTO255} 192.168.0.150 -> 192.168.1.80

To ignore every Snort id "122", comming from srcip 192.168.0.150 and
from hostname "saratoga",
the following rule would do it:

<rule id="100202" level="0">
   <if_sid>20151</if_sid>
   <hostname>saratoga</hostname>
   <program_name>^snort</program_name>
   <srcip>192.168.0.150</srcip>
   <id>^122:</id>
   <description>Ignored snort event.</description>
 </rule>
"

I think this rule says: if rule 20151 (i.e. the rule that normally
triggers an active response) is triggered, check that the target host
is "saratoga", that the attack IP is 192.168.0.150 and that the
program name is "snort". If that is the case, ignore rule 122 - In our
situation, we would want to ignore 20151 instead of ignoring rule
122.

Am I correct ?