The rids file is - I think - a socket file. By deleting the rids file
and restarting OSSEC at both  the agent and the server, I am
recreating the sockets. And rinitializing the handshake between server
and agent.

>From memory -

(1) the agent starts and waits and waits for a reply from the server

(2) the server assigns a counter to the agent - I have't checked
anything else in the server log.