>From experience, the way it should be done is:

(Untested)

<rule id="STUFF1" level="1">
  <if_sid>5701</if_sid>
  <hostname>servername</hostname>
  <match>Bad protocol version identification 'quit' from UNKNOWN$</
match>
  <description>Ignore error from servername</description>
  <options>no_log</options>
</rule>

<rule id="STUFF2" level="7" frequency="0" timeframe="300">
  <if_matched_sid>STUFF1</if_matched_sid>
  <hostname>servername</hostname>
  <match>Bad protocol version identification 'quit' from UNKNOWN$</
match>
  <description>Stuff1 happened 3 times in 5 min</description>
</rule>

**some notes here: A) frequency is 0, but ossec logic is that it
happened 2+frequency. B) Using level 0 fails on frequency alerts, so
using alert 1 + no_log option will generate the outcome you expect but
not log the first event.