Many thanks,

I've been playing around with ossec-logtest, and think I have
discovered these facts:

1. If two (or more?) rules match the same log line
    then the one with the lowest level wins. They
    will not both be activated. The rule id doesn't matter.

    1a. If the levels are the same, then the first rule occurring in
the file
          wins.

2. If you'd like to give precedence to rule that should trigger a
response,
    and it is competing with a rule that has a lower level, then set
the
    level to match that of the competing rule. Move your rule above
(closer to the
    beginning of the file) the competing rule.  Add another rule with
<if_sid> pointing
    to your rule. Set its level to the level you want. Include the
description. Drop the
    pattern match.

Am I right? Is there more to this?

murf