On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Zate <zat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont think that is what they are after.  I too am curious how often
> rootkit sigs are updated, by who and what the mechanism is to download the
> new ones.  There are tons of rootkits, is it just a select few that get sigs
> made?  Rootkit detection is a big selling point for OSSEC, so very curious
> how dynamic it is.
>
> Zate

The answers you seek are at https://bitbucket.org/dcid/ossec-hids

The signatures get updated when someone updates them, just like the rules.

A lot of people ask about current rules, and where they can get
updated rules, and blah blah blah. But these people never submit new
rules. Hell, half of them don't look at the old rules. And since this
is a volunteer project, a lack of volunteers makes everything go much
much slower.

So if you want to see more support for finding rootkits, make it and
submit it. Encourage your peers to do so as well. Hire a malware
analyst to do it. :)