On Mar 6, 2013 11:31 PM, "TWAD" <higd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Dan, I took your advice and created a CDB with over 10k IPs and then
I added one of my local IPs to test for an alert. However, the alert does
not fire when one of my local hosts trys to connect or when I change the
blacklists file. I am running tcpdump and I can see the host trying to
connect, but nothing in the alert.log. The active response log is still at
0 as well. What am I doing wrong?

Please provide a log sample.

> Blacklist format for CDB:
> IP1: 192.168.1.8
> IP2: 10.10.1.200
> etc
>
> In ossec.conf I have
> <rules>
>
>      <list>lists/blacklist.txt</list>
>
>      <include>local_rules.xml</include>
>
> </rules>
>

>  I added this to execute ossec-makelist when the blacklist changes. I do
not believe it worked because I ran it manuallyy and it showed an update
was needed

> <command>
>
>    <name>makelists</name>
>
>    <executable>makelists.sh</executable>
>
>    <expect></expect>
>
> </command>
>

> <active-response>
>
>    <disabled>no</disabled>
>
>    <command>makelists</command>
>
>    <location>server</location>
>
>    <rules_id>105001</rules_id>
>
> </active-response>
>

> Here is my blacklist file with the new CDB created from Makelists
>
> [root@RHEL6-4 lists]# ls -la
>
> total 712
>
> drwxr-xr-x.  2 ossec ossec   4096 Mar  6 22:03 .
>
> dr-xr-x---. 15 root  ossec   4096 Mar  6 16:49 ..
>
> -rw-r--r--.  1 ossec ossec 239574 Mar  6 22:03 blacklist.txt
>
> -rw-r--r--.  1 ossec ossec 478742 Mar  6 17:09 blacklist.txt.cdb
>

> My local_rules.xml addition for the alert
>

> <rule id="101003" level="0" noalert="1">
>
>      <decoded_as>unbound</decoded_as>
>
>      <description>Grouping for unbound.</description>
>
>    </rule>
>

>  <rule id="101004" level="10">
>
>      <if_sid>101003</if_sid>
>
>      <list field="srcip"
lookup="address_match_key">lists/blacklist.txt.cdb</list>

>      <description>DNS query on a potentially malicious
domain.</description> </rule>

> <rule id="101005" level="10">
>
>    <if_sid>550</if_sid>

Did you get a 550 with the path you defined below?