From: ossec-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:ossec-list@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Artien Bel
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:48 AM
To: ossec-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [ossec-list] logall

Wouldn't the primary use-case be that you want to make sure that when the
server goes down, when it comes back up, agent-events will be processed from
the moment it went down? Or perhaps in cases of (D)DOS/network congestion, to
be sure that events eventually would be delivered to the server?

Personally, I feel that reliable log-shipping would have no direct relevance to
killing the communication between agent/server as the server will detect the
agent being inactive. We, for example, use monitoring on the IDS-server-side to
alert us if an agent goes down or does not transmit any data within a specific
interval.

Again, to be clear: I have no actual objection to this functionality than that
I feel effort could be better invested in other parts of OSSEC, because there
are already better solutions for reliable log shipping.

-artien