* Michael Starks <ossec-l...@michaelstarks.com> [2014-06-18 09:21:05 -0500]:

On 2014-06-18 8:47, Artien Bel wrote:
Again, to be clear: I have no actual objection to this functionality
than that I feel effort could be better invested in other parts of
OSSEC, because there are already better solutions for reliable log shipping.

Not being a developer I am not fully qualified to comment on this, but I think I can say with confidence that the small step of making the ossec header actually match the syslog format in archives.log would be a trivial effort. There is already code to do this in ossec-csyslogd. Multi-line logs aside, that would allow a local syslog daemon to at least tail the log file and do something with it without putting in some rewrite statements.

Its not small :) It looks it is far from it.

Making logs reliable, having non-repudiation and such are worthwhile goals,

This is harder still.
but not actual requirements in many environments. Sadly, many organizations struggle with the task of just collecting logs via syslog/UDP, so making them usable and easily archived is the real issue.

Search is something that I don't want to touch with a 10 foot pull, I
will stay as far away from that as possiable ;) other can look in to it,
but not me ;) -Jeremy Rossi