Goodness, I'm nowhere near clued up enough to suggest how to improve things
just yet. I haven't read enough of it!

But note that neither yours nor Jan's posts actually answer my question
(although I completely appreciate your good intentions).

When I look at the basic information, here:

http://ossec-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/manual/ossec-architecture.html

I learn about the manager and agents, and the concept of agentless. The
description of the agent says "The agent is a small program, or collection
of programs, installed on the systems to be monitored." OK, well the system
to be monitored in my case is the one with the manager on it, so I'm
expecting to see both the manager and agent processes on my box. Is that
incorrect?

Following Jan's prompt I've made a "local" installation.I wouldn't yet know
how to recognise an agent process on it, but at first glance there doesn't
seem to be one. That seems to imply I've got an agentless install on my
server. Is that incorrect?

I think at this stage, as a newbie, I'd appreciate a brief description of
the concept of "local installation" on that architecture page. Hard to be
sure at the moment though. :)