On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM,  <de...@scratters.com> wrote:
> Goodness, I'm nowhere near clued up enough to suggest how to improve things
> just yet. I haven't read enough of it!
>
> But note that neither yours nor Jan's posts actually answer my question
> (although I completely appreciate your good intentions).
>
> When I look at the basic information, here:
>
> http://ossec-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/manual/ossec-architecture.html
>
> I learn about the manager and agents, and the concept of agentless. The
> description of the agent says "The agent is a small program, or collection
> of programs, installed on the systems to be monitored." OK, well the system
> to be monitored in my case is the one with the manager on it, so I'm
> expecting to see both the manager and agent processes on my box. Is that
> incorrect?

If you choose a local installation you get some of each. Obviously you
won't need remoted or agentd.
In a server(manager) installation the processes that monitor log files
and file integrity still run, giving the manager the same benefits
that an agent receives. This is also true in a local installation.

> Following Jan's prompt I've made a "local" installation.I wouldn't yet know
> how to recognise an agent process on it, but at first glance there doesn't
> seem to be one. That seems to imply I've got an agentless install on my
> server. Is that incorrect?

I'm going to say that is incorrect. If you installed something on the
system it's not agentless. You should also notice logcollectord and
syscheckd which are a couple of the big processes on an agent.

> I think at this stage, as a newbie, I'd appreciate a brief description of
> the concept of "local installation" on that architecture page. Hard to be
> sure at the moment though. :)

I'll play around with it. Thanks!