I'm just did your exact procedure (i was same in my previous try), and the
problems still. Even with Manage_agent.
Ossec tell me that:
2014/10/21 16:11:42 manage_agents (1209): ERROR: Unable to chroot to
directory: '/var/ossec'.
If i try to start with ./ossec-control start it still stuck to search
/var/ossec folder.

I'm currently build ossec in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 64bit and next, exported the
bin to OpenSuse 13.1 64 bit