> Was the file already in the syscheck database?

Yes.

> Did a syscheck scan run after you modified the file?

I don't know. That's the issue I'm confused about. How can I tell?

> The FAQ says that in order to run a system check you use the command:

> > # /var/ossec/bin/agent_control -r -a
> >

> > which runs it for all agents. I don't have any agents, and that command
> > gives me:
> >
> > # ./agent_control -r -a
> > 2014/10/10 23:15:44 agent_control(1210): ERROR: Queue '/queue/alerts/ar'
> not
> > accessible: 'Connection refused'.
> > 2014/10/10 23:15:44 agent_control(1301): ERROR: Unable to connect to
> active
> > response queue.
> >
> > ** Unable to connect to remoted.
> >
> > Is this likely relevant to my problem?
> >

> If you don't have any agents, why would you run something called
> "agent_control?"

Because the FAQ says that's the thing to do! It doesn't make complete sense
to me either, but running "agent_control" on the server, lists, under
available agents, agent ID "000" as "Active/Local". It appears there's an
agent of sorts running there so using "agent_control" kinda makes sense.

If "agent_control" isn't the answer, what is? What will trigger syscheck to
go and have a look at the monitored directories to see if any have been
changed?