Aha, replying to self... It worked.

There's no clue it's found something from the ossec-syscheck stdout, even
when you run it in foreground with -vv. I'd spent an hour wading through
the code trying to see what it was doing, when the alerts log suddenly
popped up a message about one of the files I'd changed. So it is working,
even if I'm not yet in proper control of it. :)

Thanks for the help.