Hi,

I using ossec 2.8.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 running locally only, no agents. I have
the following local_rules.xml defined to exercise syslog monitoring :
$ sudo more /var/ossec/rules/local_rules.xml
<group name="ossectester,local">
  <rule id="100000" level="5">
    <match>OSSEC-TESTER-RULE</match>
    <description>OSSEC Test Alert</description>
  </rule>
</group>

When this rule triggers (by running 'logger "OSSEC-TESTER-RULE"), an active
response is executed due to this ossec.conf:
<command>
    <name>post2slack</name>
    <executable>ar_slack.sh</executable>
    <expect></expect>
    <timeout_allowed>no</timeout_allowed>
</command>

<active-response>
    <command>post2slack</command>
    <location>local</location>
    <level>4</level>
</active-response>

This works as expected provided I do not populate the command <expect>
field. If I specify <expect>srcip</expect> the alert still triggers,
however, the active response is no longer executed. the syslog entry ends
up as something like:
Feb  9 19:19:53 myhostname gleeder: OSSEC-TESTER-RULE

I can't determine from the documentation whether this should work or not.
myhostname resolves to 127.0.0.1 but I haven't got any white_list IPs
specified anyway (my end goal is a to have some white_listing which is why
I specified srcip).

Is there an implicit white_list default or another reason why specifying
srcip causes the response to no longer execute?
Is <expect>srcip</expect> required for white_list to work?

Best regards,
Glen

<ossec_config>
<alerts>
    <log_alert_level>4</log_alert_level>
    <email_alert_level>0</email_alert_level>
</alerts>
<rules>
    <include>rules_config.xml</include>
    <include>local_rules.xml</include>