In case anyone is interested my testing showed <expect>srcip</expect> is
required for white_list to work and prevent active-responses being called
if a particular host is responsible.

I have been able to massage ossec.conf too operate as required for my
scenario by defining two commands (1 that expects srcip and 1 that doesn't)
and then defining active-responses based upon rules_group, rule_ids etc.

Thanks for the help and clarifications on <expect>.
Glen