You are totally alright, excuse me.

OSSEC documentation is really weird, you can find here info about windows
active response:

http://ossec-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/manual/ar/ar-windows.html

About the disabled by default, it is specified here:

https://github.com/ossec/ossec-hids/blob/master/src/win32/ossec.conf#L133

I think OSSEC use that file to compile windows binary, if you change that
line and compile the agent, it will have active-response active by default.