Thanks for the reply! I will try the counter thing right now. The manager
has this in the logs:

 DEBUG: Agent my-hostname sent HC_STARTUP from xx.xx.xx.xx

So... I think that means it is receiving it on the right port.

I've tried redoing agent-auth a few times on that host now. I've also
reinstalled ossec-agent once.