How can we get the ossec agent to read a localfile that overwrites itself?

The CIS CAT benchmarks write a .txt file which we  are reading with
"syslog" as the local file

However when the benchmark tests run, ossec does not appear to re-read the
log, its as if it never gets read again.

As it turns out, there is no date/time in the log.

We have a decoder and rules that work, just need this last piece.

Anyone run into this before?