Hi Grant,

how is that file overwritten? I mean, is it truncated and re-written or is
replaced by another?

OSSEC follows local files and never reads them again from the beginning,
there is no mechanism to detect that a previous file segment has been
changed. But OSSEC does detect that a file itself has been replaced by
checking the file inode.

So if the file is replaced (it is first removed and then re-created, or
your benchmark writes on another log file that then is moved onto the
monitored file) OSSEC should detect it and read it again entirely.

I hope that it help.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Grant Leonard <gr...@castraconsulting.com>
wrote:

> How can we get the ossec agent to read a localfile that overwrites itself?
>
> The CIS CAT benchmarks write a .txt file which we  are reading with
> "syslog" as the local file
>
> However when the benchmark tests run, ossec does not appear to re-read the
> log, its as if it never gets read again.
>
> As it turns out, there is no date/time in the log.
>
> We have a decoder and rules that work, just need this last piece.
>
> Anyone run into this before?

Victor M. Fernandez-Castro
IT Security Engineer
Wazuh Inc.