On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 1:52 AM Schultheis Burkhard
<burkhard.schulth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to get a message, when the ruleset of iptables gets modified. But
> I see that iptables doesn't log its changes. Or am I wrong?

I'm not aware of a log, but I'm far from an expert.

If you're running an OSSEC agent on the system, it should be easy to
add a command to watch for changes.
This is probably a naive command to run, but I'm not sure what a
better one would be at the moment.
This goes in the ossec.conf of the agent with the iptables
configuration you want to monitor.

  <localfile>
    <log_format>full_command</log_format>
    <alias>iptables_check</alias>
    <command>iptables -nL</command>
    <frequency>60</frequency>
  </localfile>

Every 60ish seconds the command "iptables -nL" is run. The contents of
this command are sent to the OSSEC server.

Then you create a rule to match this command in local_rules.xml.
Something like this:
<rule id="800001" level="10>
  <if_sid>530</if_sid>
  <match>ossec: output: 'iptables_check'</match>
  <check_diff />
  <description>iptables configuration has changed.</description>
</rule>

I haven't tested the above explicitly, but I have created a number of
similar commands.
Rule 530 looks for 'ossec: output:' to group command/full_command stuff.
We're looking specifically for 'iptables_check' because that's the
alias configured in the <localfile> configuration above.
'<check_diff />' should show some of the changes (if there are
changes) in the alert body.

Alternatively, you could cron a script to run `iptables -nL' and save
the data to a file. Then use syscheck to monitor that file for
changes.
Then when the file changes, syscheck notices and creates an appropriate alert.