On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:42 PM Daniel Gerep <ge...@cloudwalk.io> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am starting to use OSSEC so I may be doing something wrong here.
>
> I have OSSEC installed as a server in my Linux VM and the Agent in my Windows
> Server 2012 VM.
>
> My server has the default configuration plus this:
>
>   <command>
>      <name>ossec-slack</name>
>      <executable>ossec-slack.sh</executable>
>      <expect></expect> <!-- no expect args required -->
>      <timeout_allowed>no</timeout_allowed>
>   </command>
>
>   <active-response>
>     <disabled>no</disabled>
>     <command>ossec-slack</command>
>     <location>local</location>
>     <level>3</level>
>   </active-response>
>
>   <remote>
>     <connection>secure</connection>
>   </remote>
>
> In my Server, using the agent_control I can see my agent is active
>
> [root@gateway1-proxy bin]# ./agent_control -l
>
> OSSEC HIDS agent_control. List of available agents:
> ID: 000, Name: gateway1-proxy (server), IP: 127.0.0.1, Active/Local
> ID: 001, Name: clearing-optimizer, IP: XX.XX.X.X, Active
>
> With that, I believe my server and agent are communicating as expected.

You can look for alerts for log messages sent by the agent in
/var/ossec/logs/alerts/alerts.log on the server.
If there aren't any, turning on the log all option and checking
archives.log would be my next step.

> In my server's log, I have a lot of:
>
> 2020/08/17 19:25:18 ossec-remoted: WARN: Duplicate error:  global: 22, local:
> 7947, saved global: 22, saved local:7948
> 2020/08/17 19:25:18 ossec-remoted(1407): ERROR: Duplicated counter for
> 'clearing-optimizer'.
>
> I have found an old post here in this group and applied the suggestion but
> the same error appears again after a while. I have also tried removing the
> agent and adding again, with a different ID and name but again, after a
> while, the error appears.

I'm not sure why that would be happening over and over, but you might
have to disable rids support entirely (set remoted.verify_msg_id=0 in
/var/ossec/etc/local_internal_options.conf).

> In my agent, I have the default configuration plus this:
>
>   <active-response>
>     <disabled>no</disabled>
>     <location>server</location>
>     <level>3</level>
>   </active-response>
>
> So, in my understanding, this is sending any active-response event to the
> server, is that correct?

That's not how it works.
The agent monitors its own log files. When a new entry is written, the
agent sends the log message to the server.
The server then decodes the log message and compares it to its set of
rules. If a rule is triggered, an alert is created.
If that alert triggers an active response, the server sends a message
to the configured active response location.

In the case of the slack script, I believe it's run locally on the
server (it's been a long time since I looked at the script).

> Also, another question, is there a way to trigger an event in my agent
> (Windows) so I can check if the server is receiving the notification
> correctly?

Fail to login a few times would trigger a log message. These log
messages should trigger alerts on the ossec server for that agent.