This is really helpful. So I guess it's a matter of identifying files that
can just be ignored by ignore rules, letting things get auto-ignored, and
scheduling system updates for a time you know they're happening.

One solution could be to use hooks before/after apt. Seems like this isn't
totally crazy and apt has a solution for this:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/401126/run-a-command-before-after-ubuntu-apt-upgrade-unattended-upgrades

If we had some basic scripts for this, would it be something that OSSEC
maintainers would want to merge?

There's some talk about this problem over here:
https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop/issues/1712, but no solutions.
They point out that the solution of stopping and restarting OSSEC
before/after apt would work, but would leave a window of vulnerability. I
think that's an OK tradeoff. In fact, I think it's an improvement. Right
now, regular updates + the auto_ignore rule slowly chip away at syscheck
while spamming users. Eventually important files are auto-ignored, and
users stop paying attention to alerts. If we did the above, we'd have a
window of vulnerability, but we'd be in a much better place.

Thoughts?

Mike

--
Mike Lissner