On Thursday, 29 June 2023 at 04:22:51 UTC+1 jwkoz...@gmail.com wrote:

Regarding your specific problem (I am assuming you are running the latest
version 1.0 which I released a month or two ago), I would need to test and
investigate it. How do you exactly build the image using Capstan? What
packages/repo do you use?

I've tried 1.0 and 0.5, hacking away at a number of the examples to no
avail, all from the main Git repro and docs.

If you have an example with the package & run.yaml that work using the
mpm's from Git that may inform me better to investigate your suggestions
below.

But overall, it's not a specifc problem for me as I appear to be able to
get things tested with the OSv scripts so I don't appear to need Capstan.

I must admit that I do not use Capstan often myself to run images because
run.py is so much more versatile. Please note you can always build images
using Capstan which is pretty easy and advisable and you can run those
images with run.py using the "-i <imag_path>" option. You can also use
-dry-run option which will output a shell script that you can use instead.

./scripts/run.py -i
~/.capstan/repository/test-golang-example-rofs/test-golang-example-rofs.qemu

I've looked in the repros & online but this test-golang-example-rofs
doesn't seem readily available.

PS. This actively maintained shell script
- scripts/tests/compose_and_test_selected_apps.sh - may be somewhat useful
to see an example of how Capstan is used to build various images and run.py
to run it.

As above & from my first post, happy to transcribe notes I have in to
something that gets people going, if only to help with my aging
magentic-core era wetware memory. Only you can say how helpful it would be
right now to debug Capstan - I know you know that the docs are suffering
badly from bitrot so I'm sure you won't be surprised that just getting to a
compiled & working OSv with some of the examples working requires some
determination!

However it strikes me that if I need to provide a mechanism for end users
to inject their own configuration or code snippets, that Capstan will help
streamline an automated server build and potentially provide the end user
with a local test setup.

I'm unlikely to be useful in writing new components - I can see what's
missing that causes the SQLite example to fail (no __fgets_chk) but
implementing it would be a long voyage of discovery. I've not yet figured
out where to tell the usr.manifest where to put a test.db for SQLite to use
or if that's irrelevant due to the missing call. But I have managed to get
a database in to the Python3x example (as well as getting Python3x to
build) and can run the img and type SQLite related Python and it works.

I can be used for testing, some debugging, implementation examples and
notes if that would be useful.