Yes, funny :-)
I would hazard a guess as Susan noted, that since we do so much with our UEs loss of
UE function has such a marked impact on occupation. So we kind of inherited the
territory so to speak. I know that a lot of employees that I treated had injuries as a
result of things they had to do on the job...like repetitive pill crushing. I ended up
having to modify the job to prevent further injury....adaptive equip and all, so it
was usually a lot more than just treating the particular injury.
Mary-Ellen
-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Wells [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thu 11/20/2003 8:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc:
Subject: [OTnow] Re: [OTlist] Another Long Rant on OT :-(
Appreciate your post Susan. I guess that's how that bone got it's name! All
this fight over that bone-it is humorous! The carpals now seem corporals...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Spot_60" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Another Long Rant on OT :-(
> Joe -
>
> I think the UE has grown to be considered "OT domain" because of the
perception that people need to use their arms so much during ADLS, and so UE
exercises prescribed by OT just became the "norm." I don't have time to get
into this topic to the extent that I'd like to, but I just wanted to share
something somewhat humorous (I almost typed "humerus"). My supervisor
told me that they were going to "take away" gross motor UE from the OT's and
leave us with the fine motor component only. Talk about splitting up the
body, Joe! I had to argue that they couldn't take "my arms" away from me!
>
> Ok - very quickly - what I do to maintain my occupational frame of
reference is this: I always ask the patient and family what is most
important to them to be able to do again; I conduct my entire evaluation,
and I blend exercise with occupation, if necessary. I ask myself: "Am I
feeling like a PT?" If the answer is, "possibly!" then I know I must think
within the occupational framework a little deeper for the patient.
>
> Susan
>
> Joe Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi everybody:
>
> Was gone for a while..... The topic has returned :-). I love this topic.
>
> Ron and others- may be I am naive or just don't want to accept the truth.
> But, I do think most OTs do want and at least 'try' to be holistic and not
> just UE therapists. I feel may be some get so bored and lazy that, they
> simply become mechanistic. And, some based upon the settings, e.g. acute
and
> subacute rehab have simply shied away from traditionally associated arts/
> occupations to give the patients and (probably) themselves a better
> 'perceived' sense of medical therapeutics......since, in the medical model
> the role of an OT had to be somehow be differentiated from that of an
> recreational therapist as well.
>
> However, I had sometime ago sought to understand the origin of our
> 'reductionistic' view pont that seperated the UE from the whole body and
> just came up with one assumption (based upon the following link
> http://amsc.amedd.army.mil/ot/ot-home.htm). I believe that the role of the
> military OT has somehow evolved as that of an UE expert and, probably has
> caused a trickling effect on all. Or else, we are just getting lazy and
have
> given away the pelvis and legs to the PTs, mouth to stomach to the SLPs,
> ears to the audiologists, spine to the chiropractors.....we just had to
keep
> something :-)
>
> Joe
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From:
> To:
> Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 6:29 PM
> Subject: Re: [OTlist] Another Long Rant on OT :-(
>
>
> > Ron - I read through. I hear you. I do run into this. I myself admit
> to
> > not practicing occupation all the time. I try. -- Jody
> > _______________________________________________
> > To unsubscribe, visit:
http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
> >
> > The OTnow Mail Archive:
> > www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > ===============================================
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
>
> The OTnow Mail Archive:
> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ===============================================
>
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
> _______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
>
> The OTnow Mail Archive:
> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ===============================================
>
_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
The OTnow Mail Archive:
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================
_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
The OTnow Mail Archive:
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================