Ron,

I hope that you will reconsider renewing your membership in AOTA and your state
association.

For $80/year, I think the Florida Occupational Therapy Association does quite a
bit for your dues.
http://www.flota.org/member.html
As you probably know, your dues go to support a lobbyist and an association
management company in Tallahassee.
This year FOTA created a political action committee to strengthen its influence.
http://www.flota.org/FOCUS/FOCUS%20March-April%202006.pdf
Three years ago AOTA worked with FOTA to defeat a proposal that would have
tripled licensure fees.

Certainly AOTA and the profession faces many challanges.   I think it's easy to
blame AOTA for everything that isn't going right in the profession.  But is
AOTA a building in Bethesda, Maryland or is AOTA its individual members?  There
are 115,000 occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants in the
US.   AOTA has about 35,000 members (including students).  The more members we
have, the more that we can do to move the profession forward.

I terms of your quote from a leader in the profession, I think you are refering
to the AJOT article  From the Desk of the Executive Director: Charting a Path
for the Future which was published in AJOT March/April 2005 Volume 59 / Number
2.  I will paste more from that article to provide readers with some additional
context.

http://www.aota.org/ajot/getpdf.asp?doc=5921.pdf
In viewing the prospects that lie ahead for occupational therapy, I am
optimistic and enthused about the opportunities the future holds. There is no
question that we face a difficult environment. Changes in the organization and
delivery of health care services and reforms in reimbursement systems driven by
federal and state budget pressures have profoundly affected occupational
therapy practice. All health care professionals are increasingly being required
to demonstrate the effectiveness and appropriateness of their services.
Resource constraints have fostered challenges to the traditional domains of
many professions. Nonetheless, as a profession that offers unique services
that are ideally suited to meet the health, participation, and quality of life
needs of people of all ages, occupational therapy is well-positioned to succeed
and flourish in
the 21st century. The philosophy and conceptual models of occupational therapy
and the needs of society are intersecting to create great opportunities for the
future. The full realization of occupational therapy's potential however will
depend on vision, strategy, and unity of effort within the professional
community.

AOTA's Representative Assembly will consider a Proposed Centennial Vision
Statement at its 2006 meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina.  Detailed
background information is available on AOTA's website including information
about how the proposed statement came about.   I will paste an excerpt below.
Elements to a shared vision were identified, as were barriers.   Strategic
directions emerged from additional discussions.

http://www.aota.org/members/area6/2006-ra/ce_VP2.pdf
http://www.aota.org/members/area6/2006-ra/ce_centennial.pdf

Here is the proposed statement:
"We envision that occupational therapy is a powerful, widely recognized,
science-driven, and evidence-based
profession with a globally connected and diverse workforce meeting society's
occupational needs."

Here is the excerpt:

"During this process the participants considered member and nonmember feedback,
and generated shared vision
elements, identified important underlying barriers, and defined four strategic
directions to support the proposed
shared centennial vision.

The eight elements viewed as relevant to a shared vision included:
1. Expanded collaboration for success
2. Power to influence
3. Membership equals professional responsibility
4. Well-prepared, diverse workforce
5. Clear, compelling public image
6. Customers who demand occupational therapy
7. Evidence-based decision making
8. Science-fostered innovation in occupational therapy practice

Six barriers were identified:
1. Rigid adherence to the status quo
2. Misalignment between the current OT priorities and the external environment
3. Limited appeal of AOTA membership
4. Inconsistent competencies for education and practice
5. Overemphasis on a "helping culture" in the OT workforce
6. Unclear professional language and terminology

Four strategic directions emerged after a careful analysis of barriers and
opportunities:

1. Building the capacity to fulfill the profession's potential and mission.
This includes:
* Ensuring an adequate and diverse workforce for multiple roles
* Preparing OTs and OTAs for the 21st Century.
* Increasing research capacity and productivity
* Strengthening our capacity to influence and lead

2. Demonstrating and articulating our value to individuals, organizations, and
communities.
This includes:
* Meeting societal needs for health and well-being
* People understanding who we are and what we do
3. Building an inclusive community of members
4. Linking education, research, and practice

Chuck Willmarth
Director, State Affairs
AOTA

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 4/16/2006 4:08 PM >>>
For  one,  I  have  not considered my State association membership to be
worth  the  money.  Even  though I recently joined, I am not sure that I
will renew.

Regarding  AOTA,  I  am not pleased with the way our leaders present our
profession.  I  sometimes  feel  that some AOTA leaders have a PollyAnna
perspective.

For example, a while back one of our leaders stated:

        "In the United States, occupational therapy is ideally suited to
        meet the health needs of people of all ages."

Personally,  I  think  the  above  quote is far off-base and should read
something like:

        "In  the  United States, OT is missing the mark on being able to
        best meet the needs of patients who most need our services."

This is just one example of why I am questioning my financial support of
AOTA. Granted, AOTA has personally helped me but I am unsure of the cost
benefit of continued support.