Ron,

re: occupation based practice.   I posted information about an ad hoc
group that looked at this topic.  There is work to be done, no doubt.

I've pasted an excerpt from the executive summary below.  The full
report is available online at:
http://www.aota.org/members/area6/2006-ra/pres2-B5a.pdf

re: public awareness.  One of the four strategic initiatives that
evolved from the discussion about the vision for the profession is:
"Demonstrating and articulating our value to individuals, organizations,
and communities."

You suggest that AOTA should do a number of things, yet you may not
renew your membership.  Without resources from you and other
professionals, how are we going to get there?

Chuck

The report of the Ad hoc Workgroup on Implementing Occupation Based
Practice
provides insight into the state of OBP by describing essential features
of that practice and
delineating some of the barriers to implementation. The report offers a
wide range of
actions that can be taken by AOTA and in collaboration with
organizational partners to
facilitate the ongoing development and implementation of occupation
based practice.
Appendices 1 and 2 include the workgroup's reference list on occupation
based practice
and the sample interview questions used in gathering information from
practitioners
about their practice.
Action Items:
1. Overarching: The profession must be united in understanding and
implementing
OBP
2. Education: Students must be firmly grounded in OBP and have the
confidence to
enact OBP
3. Continuing Education: Practicing clinicians and educators must
understand and
enact OBP across a variety of practice settings
4. Communication: All environments must be inundated with messages about
OBP
5. Practical Guidance and Support: We must translate OBP into useful
examples and
tools
6. Inspiration: We must create a community of practice that is energized
by OBP
7. Leadership: We must recognize and develop current and future leaders
to sustain
OBP
8. Evidence: We must establish the efficacy of OBP

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/19/06 10:21 PM >>>
Hello Chuck:

Your  previous  message  states that occupation based practice is what
makes  OT  unique.  I  think this is a statement that 'sounds' good but
that has very little teeth!

First  off all, there is no consensus statement defining occupation or
occupation-based  practice.  Even  AOTA's official papers have trouble
defining occupation.

Secondly,  the  majority  of  our  consumers  care  very  little about
occupation.  They  care  about  medical  problems,  not  the  loss  of
occupation caused by these problems.

Because   of   one   and   two,  many  partitioners  do  not  practice
occupation-based practice.

Now, let me say that I think occupation-based practice is great, but I
also  know  that  in many cases, it does not fit with patient's needs.
Let  me  relay a recent conversation that I had with an elderly friend
who has had PT for several different issues. The patient has never had
OT.  She knows that I'm an OT and one day she asked me the differences
between  PT  and  OT.  As  normal, I explained to her that OT is about
occupation  and  about helping people regain the ability to do what is
important  to  them.  The  conversation  went on for quite a while and
eventually  the friend stated that OT seemed like a waste of time. The
friend  stated  that the problem was that her previous stroke affected
her  balance.  The PROBLEM was the balance! This friend expressed that
if  an  OT  could  fix her balance then everything else would also get
fixed.

Occupation-based  practice may make us unique, but it may also make us
extinct.  I  don't  want  to  dwell on the negative without offering a
solution, so here's what I've suggested to AOTA.

One  of  our biggest problems is the fit between what we say we do and
what we actually do. In my mind, if more patients, doctors, and payers
knew  about  occupation,  then  they  would  know about OT. As such, I
advocate  that  AOTA establish a long-term national campign to educate
teh world about occupation; it's definition, meaning and importance. I
would  love  to  drive  to  work  and  one  day  see a sign that read:
"Occupation - more than your job".

I  think  that  saying  we  are occupational therapists is meaningless
unless  people  learn  to  associate occupation with therapy. And that
will take lots of time, money and effort from many, many people.

We can say all day long that we are unique because of occupation-based
practice  but  what  difference will it make if no one knows what that
means. Heck, many of US don't know what that means!!

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Change options?

Help?
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]