There is information about the home health issue on the Legislative
Action Center.  The Legislative Action Center is used to contact your
members of Congress.  It is available to members and non-members.  I've
pasted background information and information about a bill we are
lobbying for to fix the situation.  I've also pasted an article about
the issue from AOTA's now Chief Public Affairs Officer.   The article is
from 2000 but provides additional background and context.    It is my
understanding that the political climate for getting this bill passed is
not the best.  Perhaps with the November elections the environment will
change.   Members that drop their support for AOTA diminish the
resources that we have available to impact this issue and other issues.

Gina, you state that you have dropped your AOTA membership.   Without
resources from you and other professionals, how are we going to convince
Congress that the law needs to be changed?   You mention that "my state
Medicaid does not cover home health OT but does cover PT."   Have you
raised this issue with your state association?  AOTA collaborates with
state associations on issues; if your state association wants to
proactively work on that issue we are willing to provide assistance but
any efforts would need to be a priority for the state association first.
  Regarding the low vision course, I think it would be important to
provide feedback to AOTA about what was missing so that we could improve
the product.

Chuck Willmarth
Director State Affairs
AOTA

*****************
LEGISLATIVE ACTION CENTER
http://capwiz.com/aota/issues/alert/?alertid=8747506&type=CO

Representatives Robert Andrews (D-NJ) and Lincoln Diaz-Balart (R-FL)
have teamed up to circulate a bi-partisan Dear Colleague Letter to all
Members of the House of Representatives asking them to support and
co-sponsor the Medicare Occupational Therapy Coverage Eligibility Act
(H.R. 3022).

The Dear Colleague Letter demonstrates the Congressmen's ongoing
support of occupational therapy and will raise the profile of the
legislation among House Members.

Now is an important time to contact your Representative and ask that
they co-sponsor         H.R. 3022 which will make Medicare beneficiaries
eligible for home health care coverage based on a need for occupational
therapy.  Use the form below to customize and send your letter to your
Representative today.  The more requests each Member receives will
directly impact support for this legislation that is important to the
integrity of the profession and the specific role of occupational
therapy in the home health setting.

AOTA Position:

AOTA fully supports passage of H.R. 3022.  Current Medicare law creates
an imbalance among skilled therapy services and must be corrected.
Limiting access to occupational therapy in the home health setting
causes agencies to provide care according to restrictions rather than
what is in the best medical interest of their patients.  Placing
occupational therapy on an equal footing with other qualifying services
provides home health agencies and Medicare beneficiaries with a choice
of the most appropriate service to meet their needs.  This would improve
efficiency and effectiveness of home health for Medicare beneficiaries.

Background:

The inequality of occupational therapy not being a qualifying service
for Medicare home health benefits has been a problem for over thirty
years.  Occupational therapy was included in Medicare as a free standing
benefit in 1987 but not eligible as a qualifying service for home health
service.  This problem must be addressed through legislation. Similar
bills have been introduced in prior Congresses but failed to gain
passage.  It is essential that we raise the profile of this issue
through grassroots efforts by AOTA members and direct lobbying by AOTA
staff.  Current law limits the appropriate use of occupation therapy in
the home health setting and negatively impacts outcomes for home health
care recipients by barring clinically indicated and physician authorized
services.

************
http://www.aota.org/featured/area2/oldotp/link16ak.asp?PLACE=/featured/area2/oldotp/link16ak.asp

ARTICLE:
Advocate for OT in Home Health
Christina A. Metzler

The home health care qualifying service issue has been a problem of
significant concern for many occupational therapy practitioners.
Occupational therapy is not a qualifying service for home health care;
according to law, in order to receive services under the Medicare home
health care benefit, a Medicare beneficiary must be in need of nursing,
physical therapy, or speech therapy, in addition to being home bound.

In October 2000, a prospective payment system (PPS) is scheduled to be
implemented for home health care under Medicare. That presents a new
opportunity to advocate for a change in the qualifying service criteria
and put occupational therapy on an equal footing with physical therapy
and speech- language pathology services. AOTA will begin major lobbying
and grassroots activities to promote this change.

When the home health care benefit was established in the early years of
Medicare, occupational therapy was not a licensed service in many
jurisdictions. Occupational therapy was only paid for under Medicare in
institutional settings. Even outpatient occupational therapy was not
covered. Efforts since then by AOTA have resulted in a considerable
expansion of occupational therapy services under Medicare. In 1986, AOTA
secured Congressional approval of occupational therapy as a Part B
outpatient service. This also allowed OT to be provided to skilled
nursing facility patients who were no longer eligible for the Part A
benefit. At the same time, OT was allowed to be provided in home health
care as a continuing, stand-alone service after a qualifying visit or
set of visits by nursing, physical therapy, or speech- language
pathology services. Licensure is now in effect in all but two states,
and a significant effort is underway to secure licensure law in
California, which would provide protection for practitioners and
consumers.

But the continuation of unequal treatment for occupational therapy when
the three rehabilitation therapies are treated equally elsewhere in
Medicare law creates limits in OT home health care practice. In
addition, Medicare rules are often followed by Medicaid, placing
additional restrictions on the ability of consumers to access
occupational therapy. Now with the new requirements in home health care
to conduct the Outcome and Assessment Information Set (OASIS), the
advent of an episode-based payment under PPS, and overall policy
interest in increasing home health care patients' functional status, the
climate is right for a push to correct this wrong.

But it will require answering many questions from policymakers and even
from the home health care community. It will also require aggressive
advocacy by grassroots OT practitioners to create the impetus in
Congress to act.

The questions will include:
How many additional people would qualify for home health care with OT
as a qualifying service? This is a critical question because it will
influence how much the change will cost. In the current environment in
which home health care costs are skyrocketing and policymakers are
suspicious of overutilization, we must be able to show that only a
limited increase would occur. AOTA is working with the Home & Community
Health Special Interest Section to find any agency or academic data to
show how many people might qualify. Member help is needed.

Will this put a burden on home health care agencies to increase staff?
Although our ultimate goal is to increase utilization of OT, it is
critical that this effort be supported by the home health care provider
community. Arguments must be carefully developed, backed by data if
possible, that the inclusion of OT as an initial qualifying service
would provide opportunities for agencies to be more efficient in meeting
beneficiaries' needs and ultimately provide the potential to save
resources under the PPS.

If it has been this way for more than 30 years, why change it now? AOTA
will argue that it is unjust and invalid, especially under an episodic
PPS, to continue this differential treatment for OT. But this argument
must be backed up with data and, more importantly, the energy of the OT
community advocating at the grassroots level.

All members of the profession would benefit by this change, as would
many Medicare beneficiaries. Please do your part. Use the home health
care letter on AOTA's Web site (www.aota.org) under Government Relations
to contact your senators and members of Congress. Urge your state
association to send a letter endorsing the effort to your entire
delegation. Work with your home health care agencies to help them
understand the value of OT and this change.

Use your "skills for the job of advocacy" to make this long-needed
change a reality.

Christina A. Metzler is the director of AOTA's Federal Affairs
department.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 5/11/2006 12:29 PM >>>
Even  though  I occassionally 'bash' AOTA, I don't think that they let
Medicare  exclude  OT from opening home health. Honestly, I don't know
exactly when the exclusion took place, nor do I know any details about
what  AOTA  did  or didn't do, but I doubt that they just let Medicare
dictate  the  rules without any input. Perhaps Chuck W. can provide us
with some accurate history!!!!