Pat,  I certainly can't add anything to what you've typed. What do you
think is missing?

----- Original Message -----
From: Pat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006
To:   [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subj: [OTlist] Pat's List

P> Hi Ron,

P> The main goal of the program is returning the patient to the highest
P> possible level of function, and if possible, getting them back to work.  It
P> is not at all like work hardening/conditioning though... the level of
P> exercise is much less.  I work a lot on strengthening and conditioning, and
P> also on increased positional tolerance - sitting, standing, and 
P> walking.  It's a full body/mind program, so they don't just concentrate on
P> the injured area.  I do give them some exercises specific to their 
P> particular injury though.  I do things like art, crafts, and games to work
P> on sitting tolerance... it occupies the patient's mind and works to
P> distract them from their pain.  I also have them do more active games...
P> darts and modified volleyball and badminton (we use a punching balloon
P> because it's large and moves slower) for standing tolerance.  We even go
P> for walks outside, weather permitting.  We also have aquatics.  I try to
P> find things that will get them involved and laughing, even playing games I
P> picked up a baby showers like races where they have to walk across the room
P> with a potato between their knees and drop it in a cup without using their
P> hands (if you are a man, don't ask).  I try to make it as fun for them as
P> possible.

P> I do team building exercises with them, and we sometimes have sessions
P> where they will do collages depicting how they feel now on what side, and
P> their goals on the other side, and then we discuss why they chose the
P> pictures they did.   this population is dealing with a lot of depression
P> and tend to isolate themselves, so I do activities where they have to
P> interact and work together toward a common goal.  For the most part the
P> counselors and psychologist deal with the mental/emotional part of the
P> program though.

P> Pat

P> At 04:15 PM 7/26/2006, you wrote:
>>Hello Pat:
>>
>>In  response  to your below message, I would like to know a little bit
>>more  about  the  nature  (i.e. goals) of your program. Maybe a little
>>more info will better help us.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Ron
>>
>> > I work in a chronic pain clinic.  The patients are there 40 hours a week
>> > for six weeks (which usually stretches out because they have to make up
>> > absences).  I have the group for 5-6 hours a day.  The rest of the time
>> > they are doing biofeedback, acupuncture, pilates, yoga, nutrition
>> class, or
>> > are in a counseling session.  I am always challenged to come up with a
>> > variety of activities for them!  They are there for a wide range of
>> > injuries so I try to find activities that will fit everyone.
>> >
>> > In the past I have posted to this group looking for suggestions but didn't
>> > get much response.... if anyone cares to make some suggestions and start
>> > another thread that would be great!
>> >
>> > Pat
>>
>>
>>
>>--
>>Unsubscribe?
>>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>>Change options?
>>   www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com
>>
>>Archive?
>>   www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
>>
>>Help?
>>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]





-- 
Unsubscribe?
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Change options?
  www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com 

Archive?
  www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]

Help?
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to