Ron,

  Thank you for letting us share your article.  I have another concern
regarding the use of FIMs and other documentation systems that are not
occupation based.  It is no wonder that we have an identity problem when
typical assessments performed by OTs, at least those that I have seen in my 14
years of practice, when these assessments could quite easily be performed by
other disciplines as well.  Case in point is the FIM.  It does not take the
skills of an OT to complete the FIM.  In fact, a nurse or PT could fill out the
FIM quite easily.  When I started at the facility I am currently working for,
courtesy of hurricane Katrina, the "OT" outpatient assessment consisted of an
identification of problems, associated deficits, a chart of UE only ROM and
strength, and goals.  The "OT" psych assessment basically was an interview
regarding what the patient considered their strengths, weaknesses, leisure
interests, etc.  I have successfully introduced the COPM and KELS as standard
 documentation for the psych department and have developed an OT assessment
based on the AOTA practice framework for outpatient.  The outpatient assessment
has a section in which perfomance and satisfaction ratings can be placed from
the COPM.  I do not regularly work in inpatient rehab, so thankfully I don't
have to often do the FIM.  I have made comments, but I don't think this is
going to change.
  Jimmie

Ron Carson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hello All;

Out of shear boredom, I did a Google search for my name. As I was
filtering through the pages, I came across a couple "hits" for
messages posted on this forum, which is always exciting. But on about
page 5 or 6, I discovered a link for an article that I had written for
the Canadian Assoc. of OT's newsletter. It just so happens that the
newsletter is named OTnow!, no relation to this e-mail list or
website.

So, here's the link:

http://www.caot.ca/otnow/may99-eng/may99-client.cfm

The article is titled: "Client-centered Practice in an American Acute
Care Rehabilitation Hospital: A Case Study".

Reading the article brought back lots of memories. It's hard to
believe that I've been an OT for almost 10 years. My, time flys!!