Hi Emily,

I'm in my first year training to become an occupational therapist. I really
find your question intriguing. I was an OTA for three and a half years and I
have seen how OT can help people overcome illness and injury. I have had an
interesting journey towards my journey to become an OT and don't regret it
at all.

Firstly, my personal opinion is you can't regret what you do in your life as
it leads to learning, having new knowledge and building on your life
experiences, whether the experience is good or bad. I come with this opinion
through my own personal experience.

Secondly, not everyone wants to become an OT, however I have not yet found a
better career that can provide so much to an individual. The medical
profession for a lot of the time don't understand OT and there is alot of
fighting for OT. Yes there is alot of politics and red tape and what we do
sometimes can be a thankless job, but for all of that the upside is you are
helping someone to live their life to the best of their abilities - you
can't get better than that!

Oh anti-intellectual! Never! Not the course I'm on oh boy its tough,
probably the most intellectual course I have ever done.

I wish you lots of luck in the future - enjoy the summer!

Becky Heath :-)
OT student, University of Brighton, England