Dear Emily, I think you are wise to explore and ask those in any given field
this question.

  For myself, OT has been so much more than a job, but a passion really.  And
when the fit is right, you will find yourself engaging in life long learning to
support your passion.  As far as the anti intellectual assessment, I couldn't
disagree more--perhaps it is because I am in the middle of my Ph D program,
surrpounded by equally passionate OT's who are bold, critical thinkers--I see
us as a profession attracting individuals who can grapple with the abstract
concepts related to occupation, who can integrate mind and body and soul into
our approaches, enabling people to lives lives of meaning as defined by their
priorities.

   So, if you are interested in what makes people unique, if you find yourself
drawn to creativity in any sense, if you like the humanities, sociology,
psychology, etc., if you love a good challenge and "on your feet problem
solving", the process of becoming an OT and practicing as an OT will most
likely be a stimulating, intellectual endeavor for you.  If however your
preference is for more linear, structured approachs, if you like to see direct
cause -effect relationships,  if you like to  know exaclty what you're in for
each day when you get to work, there are other health care fields that may be a
better fit--laboratory, radiography, respiratory therapy, etc.  All require
critical thinking, but in a different way than OT.

  I hope this helps.

  Terrianne Jones, MA, OTR/L

"Emily L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hello,
I'm an undegraduate human biology major looking into going into some sort of
health care. I have experience on the "other end" of OT (Cerebral Palsy) and
like the patient-centered nature of OT. I'm looking into doing some observation
hours with OTs this summer to get a better feel for the profession, but in the
mean time, I'd like to know what you think of the profession. I've heard from
some OTs who left the profession to become MDs, citing thw "anti-inlellectual"
nature of OT, the fact that they felt like they could basically be replaced by
a CNA, and the lack of respect. What do you think about these things? Idf you
could do it again, would you stay an OT? Why or why not?

Thanks,
Emily

Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn