From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Ron Carson
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:42 AM
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Subject: [OTlist] On-line Colloboration (5/29 Update)

Hello All:

Just  got  back  from  an  appt. with the person w/ a T9-T10 spinal cord
injury. She confirmed that independent transfers and taking a shower are
her two primary goals.

The  pt. was able to indpendently go from supine to bedside sitting. She
is  able  to perform a slide board transfer from the bed to her w/c with
min-mod  asst  (primarily  for  LE placement). However, she is UNABLE to
perform sitting bed mobility.

She  is short and bottom-heavy. With her hands on the bed and her elbows
fully extended, she still has too much weight on her bottom. She tried a
push-up  block  but  it  "sunk"  into the mattress. They have a mattress
overlay  that  they  are  going to try to see if this give a comfortable
nights sleep while being firm enough to assist with transfers.

She  has  difficulty moving her LE because of trunk instability but this
should quickly improve.

If  you  remember she was weaning herself off the TLSO. She told me that
on  Saturday, she went all day without it and she did not wear it during
today's therapy.

Next  week,  I  think  we  will  tackle  tub transfers. Probably using a
standard tub transfer bench.

So,  what  suggestions  can  you  give regarding bed mobility and/or tub
transfers.

Thanks,