From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of susanne
Sent: Wed 5/30/2007 6:25 PM
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Subject: Re: [OTlist] On-line Colloboration (5/29 Update)

Hi Ron - thanks for the update!

> Just  got  back  from  an  appt. with the person w/ a
> T9-T10
> spinal cord
> injury. She confirmed that independent transfers and
> taking a
> shower are
> her two primary goals.
>
> The  pt. was able to indpendently go from supine to
> bedside
> sitting.

Good!

She
> is  able  to perform a slide board transfer from the bed
> her w/c with
> min-mod  asst  (primarily  for  LE placement).

Did you check the "transfers" video links I sent you - some
are done by quads. Look at Shaun and JGNI. Note how and at
which points they move their legs.
Oh - and maybe try a different sliding board! And try
sticking it under the seat cushion.

However, she is
> UNABLE to
> perform sitting bed mobility.

again if you look at those two guys, they never move
sidewards while sitting on bedside. Their positioning in bed
is done something like half sidelying (they also both
demonstrate some active elbow extension, which is c7
function, so I don't quite trust their SCI-levels - but sure
they are quads).

> She  is short and bottom-heavy. With her hands on the bed
> and
> her elbows
> fully extended, she still has too much weight on her
> bottom.

Both build and firmness of surface has a lot of influence.
It's often more difficult for women. When she's able to turn
in bed at night, maybe use a firm mattress. And if using a
softer overlay, this should not extend all the way to the
side of the bed. (We actually sleep on a futon, bf with an
overlay - will find a link for that one later)

> She tried a
> push-up  block  but  it  "sunk"  into the mattress.

Are we talking bedside sitting here? And what is she trying
to do - move sidewards? Oh - because it's a power chair, she
can't just drag it closer - is that it?

They have
> a mattress
> overlay  that  they  are  going to try to see if this give
> comfortable
> nights sleep while being firm enough to assist with
> transfers.

> She  has  difficulty moving her LE because of trunk
> instability but this
> should quickly improve.

Yeah - that and strong arms and shoulders will make the
difference, I believe. Lifting weights is often recommended.
Also working on the half-lying bed mobility (long-sitting
etc).

> If  you  remember she was weaning herself off the TLSO.
> She
> told me that
> on  Saturday, she went all day without it and she did not
> wear
> it during
> today's therapy.

Good - now onto strengthen those trunk muscles, also so she
don't hurt herself.

> Next  week,  I  think  we  will  tackle  tub transfers.
> Probably using a
> standard tub transfer bench.
>
> So,  what  suggestions  can  you  give regarding bed
> mobility
> and/or tub
> transfers.

We don't have many tubs left in Denmark, so I guess I can
only spell "roll in shower". Or, if there's a drain in the
bathroom floor, then showering while on (a commode over) the
toilet cuts down on both time and transfers. My bf does
this. The hot water also helps relax and speed up the BM
procedure. Got a long shower hose, with an on/off button on
the shower head. (No - no private pics - LOL).

Warm greetings

susanne, denmark
 - girlfriend of a great guy with quadriplegia

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn