Ron,
The way I understand this, the problem arose in situations where there was
an outpatient therapy clinic in a particular location owned by therapists
that was competing with an outpatient clinic owned by doctors. If you have
an ortho doc who owns a therapy practice, he/she can refer to his own
therapy clinic and run the other clinics out of town because they can't get
any referrals. There is a potential conflict of interest when a doctor makes
referrals within his/her own practice. On the other hand, I have worked with
doctors who have been frustrated by their options for good therapy in their
particular markets. Their frustration has lead them to the idea that if they
employed the therapists, they could provide the therapists with the very
best continuing education therefore tailoring the therapists knowledge to
their particular patients needs. Some ortho docs prefer one specific
protocol to hip rehab, hand rehab, etc. If the doctor can have some control
over the therapist, they feel their patients will get the best possible
rehab.

I really understand the reasons behind the Stark laws, however, in my
particular case...I couldn't make a practice work without the support of the
doctors.
Jenny Daup

Even  though  I'm  in  private  practice,  I really don't comprehend the
factors involved in this situation.

Perhaps someone will explain.

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn