From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ron Carson
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 8:38 AM
To: OTlist
Subject: [OTlist] Functional Mobility Training

Hello All:

I've  been  working  with  a geriatric friend/patient who is asking me a
question that I can not convincingly answer.

This  90  y/o  patient  is  about 6 years s/p CVA with residual visual /
balance deficits. She has fallen twice this year fracturin both hips.

She  previously  walked  without any AD put had difficulty with balance.
She is very determined to return to functional mobility with a cane. She
has  progressed  from a 4-wheel walker (which is unsafe because she used
it  incorrectly  (very  impulsive))  to  a  cane.  But  needs additional
mobility training. Here's the problem.

When  she walks, she continually grabs doorways, handles, cabinets, etc.
She does NOT need these but feels more stable with them. I have stressed
that  she  needs to be consistent with her mobility and walk in the same
manner. But she asks me "why not use them if they are there"?

I  need  help trying to explain to her that it's best if she not rely on
cabinets, doorways, etc for mobility. But I can't provide a satisfactory
answer as to why?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

"... as a profession that offers unique services that are ideally suited
to  meet  the health, participation, and quality of life needs of people
of  all  ages,  occupational  therapy  is well-positioned to succeed and
flourish in the 21st century." [Fred Somers, AJOT, April, 2005, p. 127]

"The  part of convalescence that I found most profoundly humiliating and
depressing  was  [OT]...  I was reduced to playing with brightly colored
plastic  letters  ...  like  a three-year-old..." [AJOT, April, 2005, p.
231]

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for
OTs Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn