Ron and all,
    I definately can't say that all my interventions are evidence-based but it
is a goal of mine like to trend towards being better able to find info that
supports my area of practice. RIght now there no incentive from my employer or
medicare or even my patients to show evidence..at least for now. They mainly
want functional results. Some of the results come from occupation-based
treatment and some definately don't...it's a mix based on  my patient
interests, goals, and on my clincal experience of what will work or could work.
But that is as far as I can go to call myself an expert at what I do. I don't
have any independent objective data the says "this way of proceding is proven
to work in this situation".
      If I had more of a connection professionally to what is done out there in
research to what I did in practice I might feel more confident about ruling out
certain practices and including others. Even just a tendency or trend  for
practice would be nice. And I know this kind of data exists in small amounts in
our profession but like you, I don't have a lot of time or interest to dig it
all up and incorporate it into practice..
     Hopefully I can overcome my own laziness and complaceny in practice to get
more evidence based and science-driven. But until that time I'm very hesitant
to commit to any level of expertise or judge the practices of others as
deficient.
All in all, we (OTs) know deep down that occupation is essential to well-being
but how does this idea translate into a meaningful practice in our society?
Sincerely
Brent Cheyne OTR/L