From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Sue O
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 10:12 PM
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Subject: Re: [OTlist] expertise, goals, and my 2 cents

Hi all - very interesting discussion. If, by expertise, you mean what
differentiates us from other rehab professions, I would say that our
expertise is (or should be) facilitating occupational performance. We
may
include preparatory interventions to accomplish occupational performance
goals, but if we stop at the preparatory step, or write our goals to
reflect preparatory skills (like strength, ROM, etc.) then we are not
doing
OCCUPATIONal therapy.

I don't write ROM or strength goals, nor do I teach my students to do so
either. Once you shift your thinking, it's not that difficult to write
goals that reflect occupational performance. I would never start a goal
with the performance skill or client factor (increase ROM to do
something).
That, to me is like describing OT by how it's not like PT. I always
start
(and end) with occupational performance. Why not simply state as a goal
that the client will don pullover clothing (if that is what they
identify
as the problem), or even something more general like complete self-care
tasks requiring overhead reaching (and maybe give a couple of examples),
if
the physical problem is shoulder ROM? The intervention plan itself will
spell out that I might work on ROM or teach the client some
self-stretching, but that should not be the goal.

I respectfully disagree with those who say that just because something
is
done by an OT, then it's OT. That mentality has, in my opinion, caused
some
of the identity problem we now wrestle with. That's like saying I'm a
dentist, so if I happen to be good at giving massages, and I choose to
give
you a massage while you're in the chair, then it is dentistry (I realize
my
analogy is a bit absurd, but in a way some of what we do isn't that
different). We have tried to be all things to all people, and it's taken
us
away from our roots, which is the power of occupation to promote mental
and
physical health. Therapists trained during the heavy "medical model"
years
were taught a more reductionistic perspective. But in the past 10-15
years
there has been a decided shift back to a more holistic foundation based
on
the power of occupation.

I really like the language that the Canadian model uses, which is
exemplified in the COPM, which asks the client "what things do you need
do, want to do, or are expected to do, that you can't do, don't do, or
aren't satisfied with how you do them, due to your (fill in the blank
diagnosis, health condition, situation)"? Starting with an assessment
like
the COPM, it's almost impossible not to be both client centered and
occupational based. Once the occupational performance deficits are
identified and goals developed, then we can address the "why" and add in
the necessary assessment and interventions to address the appropriate
performance skills in pursuit of the occupational performance goals.

The bottom line, to me, is if there are no occupational performance
goals
(i.e. the client's condition is not affecting their occupational
performance in any meaningful way, as perceived by the client), then OT
is
not indicated. I know by reading the posts on this topic that some of
you
will disagree with me - no problem. But as someone who has been teaching
OT
for the last 11 years and has experienced the shift first hand, I see
the
handwriting (no pun intended) on the wall.

I have tremendously enjoyed the debate and look forward to more!

Sue Ordinetz

Assistant Professor of Occupational Therapy
American International College
Springfield MA 01109