I am submitting a change in topic :)

I am an OT with over 25 years of experience.  Currently I am managing a
inpatient rehab unit.  Our OT's do a lot of dressing and grooming, but have a
tendency to not participate in bathing of patients until close to discharge.
They repeatedly state "the patient is not ready for that yet".  Well, the
patient is getting bathed, of course, so they ARE ready for that and I think
that OT should work with nursing on the best way to facilitate the patients
independence in bathing during the entire stay, not just do one bath the day or
two before discharge when the patient is more independent.

I guess it is a difference in theory that I see bathing as a functional task
that can be used as treatment for all sorts of things (body awareness, balance,
following directions, motor control, etc) and they feel that they are just
assessing the level of independence prior to discharge and teaching
compensation (ie do they need a tub seat or bench, etc).

I think the OT should do one bath per patient per week....initially working
more with nursing, then later more independently when the patient gets stronger.

Can any of you tell me about your ADL programs if you work, or have ever
worked, in an inpatient rehab unit??   What are your thoughts on OT's role in
bathing in this situation??

Thank you for any thoughts you may have....

Linda

Linda Stovall, OTR/L
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Program Manager
Memorial Hospital at Gulfport
Comprehensive Medical Rehabilitation Program
228-867-4179
228-867-5357 (fax)
228-883-8443 (beeper)
A CARF (Three-Year) Accreditation was awarded to MHG for the following
programs:
Inpatient Rehab - Adults, Adolescents, and Children
Inpatient Rehab- Stroke Specialty