When  I  worked  in-patient rehab, I always found showering to be very
therapeutic for myself and patients. For me, because it was one of the
few  places  where  patient's got "real world" experience. But, I also
felt  that  there  was  limitation  because  our facility had nice big
walk-in  showers with grab rails and seats. As we now, that is NOT the
reality of most patients' homes.

Also,  as  a  male  therapist,  I  made  100%  sure that patients were
comfortable  with  bathing  in front of me. There were many times when
they  were  not  and  in those cases, I made arrangements for a female
therapist  to  take  my place. This worked out well, because it seemed
that   the   female  therapists  had  male  patients  that  were  also
uncomfortable.  Or,  there  were the occasional male patients who were
inappropriate with our therapists.

I highly encourage OT to "demand" home evals for their patients during
the  MIDDLE  of  the  in-patient rehab stay. The home eval highlights
many  environmental  barriers  a patient will face and doing it in the
middle of the stay allows the OT ample time to address the situations.

Ron Carson MHS, OT