I meant to add that just last week, a patient told me:

"I've  had  lots of therapy in my life, but you are the only OT I ever
met whose left hand knew what his right hand was doing".

I'm no great OT (I'm just an OT on a mission) so I don't say the above
to  toot  my horn. Instead, I see it as a reflection on the other OT's
who  this  lady had met. So, what might I do different from other OT's
that inspired the comment?

I'm not sure, but I suspect, that because I focus treatment on meeting
patient occupational deficits and don't corner myself or patients into
UE  referrals,  I learn a lot more about their needs and expectations.
Focusing  on  occupation  has  so  many  advantages for OT and for our
patients.  But,  even  as  good  as  OT  can be, it obviously has it's
limits.

In  fact,  the  person  who  said  this  to  me was d/c after only one
treatment session. Why? Because she and I agreed there was little that
I  could  do  to  help her. But that conclusion was only reached after
discussing her needs, providing suggestions and physically trying some
things. But who knows, maybe if I would have seen her for more visits,
she might say that I was the worst OT she ever met!

But,  talk  about  a  narrow  philosophy? The whole UE thing has us so
backed  into  a  corner  that we can't even see beyond patient's belly
buttons. Anyway, that's another discussion, right?

Ron Carson MHS, OT