Then adaptation and education might be indicated.

Joan,  in  using  the  approach  I  outlined, there isn't a difference
between  treating  people with cog deficits and phy deficits. In fact,
that's   the  beauty  of  the  approach;  The  focus  is  occupational
performance,  not  underlying  issues. And because the focus is on the
universal  phenomena  of  occupation  performance,  it  applies to all
people having occupation deficits.

Of  course, that does not mean we don't treat those underlying issues,
it  simply  means that issues aren't our measure. For example, I don't
take ROM or muscle strength measures. To be sure, I range limbs and do
manual  muscle  testing,  but I almost never record measurements. Why?
Because  improving  these  measurements is not my goal. However, I may
assess range and strength because these may be barriers to occupation.
In   practice,  however,  I  usually  have  patients  attempt  desired
occupational goals or preliminary steps to those goals. My observation
of  the  patient's  occupational  performance  gives  me a much better
picture of occupation barriers than simple strength/rom measurements.

In  summary,  using  the outline I provided, really serves to unify OT
across its diverse treatment spectrum. Peds, adults, gero, neuro, etc.
can  all use a similar approach. As I was typing this another example
of this model popped into my head.

I  just  started treating a man with what is essentially fatigue. He's
had  lots  of  medical issues and was hospitalized for a long time. He
just came home and I picked him up on home health. During my eval, the
patient   presented  with  Parkinson's  like  symptoms;  slow  speech,
tremors,  flat  affect, etc., however, there was no neuro diagnosis. I
wanted  a  better  idea  of  his cognitive status, so I whipped out my
trusty  MMSE.  Surprisingly, he scored 27/30, which is normal. So, why
did I do the MMSE?

Simply put, I wanted to see if cognition was a possible barrier to his
occupational  performance.  In  this case it wasn't. But if it were, I
would  have  probably use his goals as treatment. Again, the goal, and
hence  the  measurement,  is  not remediating the underlying issue but
improving occupation.

So,  an  occupation-based  approach applies to OT working in phys-dys,
cognition,  pediatrics, neuro, etc. But unlike other approaches, an OT
using  an  occupation-based approach has one single purpose and reason
for being, and that is improving occupational performance.

Thanks,

Ron Carson MHS, OT