Hey gang,
Just a little frustrated from last week at work.? I work in a small 13 bed
acute rehab unit, in which the OTs have had a lot of pride in being
occupationally based.? Just last week we were told we would have to start
"doubling patients" at times because of increased census.? My boss is an OT so
she should understand the correlation between one on one?OT and positive
outcomes.? I understand that this might have to happen from time to time
because of high census, but I have been frustrated that no plan has been
initiated to find more help or at least calling the PRN therapists that could
help cover the extra patients, since this has been an issue for 6 months.? I am
beginning to think that?management is just trying to save money, but at the
same time expecting the FIM scores to improve.? Just wanted to ask if anyone
had to deal with this issue and what they did to remain occupationally based.?
Is it ethically ok to "double", and is it ok from a Medicare guidline
perspective in acute rehab?? Thanks.

Chris Nahrwold MS, OTR