From: Sue Doyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: otlist@otnow.com
Sent: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 5:12 pm
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Doubling patients

Chris,
I work in the same sized rehab unit. What are you total staffing numbers?
Medicare from what the last lot of consulting we had in (currently still here)
CMS does not approve of "doubling" unless it is billed as a group charge. Where
you see any more than one patient at a time, it is considered a group. When
billed as a group charge it must be able to be clearly demonstrated that the
group was in the clients best interests not the time/staff management of the
unit. Groups need to be structured about similar type patients with individual
but similar goals that are clearly written for the group process. I have
developed several forms for the groups that we run. Our consultants also warned
us that "dovetailing" is also a practice frowned upon by CMS. (Some of our
consultants have been like the director at Cedar Sinai etc).

While there is now written limit on the amount of group time in the rehab
setting as in SNF it is recommended that you stick to no more than 25% of the
total treatment time for a patient be in group sessions.

Would like to discuss more about scheduling, implementing the 3 hours rule etc
with you.

Sue> To: otlist@otnow.com> Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:02:48 -0500> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [OTlist] Doubling patients> > Hey gang,> Just a
little frustrated from last week at work.? I work in a small 13 bed acute rehab
unit, in which the OTs have had a lot of pride in being occupationally based.?
Just last week we were told we would have to start "doubling patients" at times
because of increased census.? My boss is an OT so she should understand the
correlation between one on one?OT and positive outcomes.? I understand that
this
might have to happen from time to time because of high census, but I have been
frustrated that no plan has been initiated to find more help or at least
calling
the PRN therapists that could help cover the extra patients, since this has
been
an issue for 6 months.? I am beginning to think that?management is just trying
to save money, but at the same time expecting the FIM scores to improve.? Just
wanted to ask if anyone had to deal with this issue and what they did to remain
occupationally based.? Is it ethically ok to "double", and is it ok from a
Medicare guidline perspective in acute rehab?? Thanks.> > Chris Nahrwold MS,