Hi - I hope you are not insulted by my questions. I would like to understand more fully your treatment concept for a patient that is not independent in toileting. Is your setting usually in the pts home? Do you ask the pt to take a dry run into the toilet? Do you ask the pt if they need to actually use the bathroom? Do you simulate any activities? I do not think that you are asking the pts to undress each time you enter their home.

In my setting, acute rehab, what type of initial suggestion would you make to a pt a few days post CVA or Hip Fx? Lets get up and sit on the BSC? Lets get up and get into the wheelchair so we can go to the tx gym? All my sessions are not first thing in the AM when it really would make sense to do concrete care such as toileting. CNA's and Rehab Techs are often the initial contact for the day and will have already assisted the pt with their toileting. It is not considered OT when that other staff member assists them, and the other staff may do more for them without asking them to participate. I often feel that I should be training the staff for more opportunities using the skills that will be taught in tx. but that is not billable tx time.

Asking a CNA for input in the level of assist needed for toileting would only make sense in a perfect world. But we are asked not to overlap PT/OT/Nursing for fear the tx will be seen as un-necessary? What the pt is able to do for themselves certainly will change as they begin to heal from their insult. By the time you see them in home tx they are more aware of what their priorities are.