Hello All:

What  follows  are  thoughts and opinion about using occupation as *THE*
goal for OT treatment.

Here's is the premise for my arguments:

(1)  When occupation is *THE* goal, outcome statements may be written in
concise occupation-based outcomes. For example:

        Patient  will  safely  and independently ambulate to/from toilet
        with RW and perform all hygiene without assistive equipment.

        Patient  will  transfer  from  w/c  to  bed  using  slide  board
        transfers

        Patient will dress self using adaptive equipment as necessary

(2)  Conversely,  when  occupation  is  not  *THE* goal, outcomes may be
written  so  that  occupation  is  a  desired  outcome  but  is based on
improving underlying impairment(s). For example:

        Patient  will increase UE elbow ROM to 115 degree active flexion
        to all for donning/doffing of shirt

        Patient  will  increase standing endurance/balance to allow them
        to safely and independently carry out toileting hygiene.

Some  argue there is little difference in the above approaches. However,
I believe these approaches frame patient problems very differently. This
is important because how we frame a problem drives our treatment.

The  first example clearly identifies that occupation is the goal. There
is  no  expressed  concern  for underlying factors impairing occupation.
However,  and  this  if often overlooked, it is IMPLIED that all factors
impairing  the  goal  will be treated within the therapist's abilities.
This is true because occupation includes the following factors:

        Physical, emotional, mental environmental, behavioral, social

Thus,  as  OT's  and  within  our  scope  of  practice, occupation-based
outcomes address all factors impairing the desire occupations.

While  the  second  example  does include occupation as an outcome, only
factors addressed in the goals are included for treatment. This severely
limits  treatment  and  in  my  opinion  indicates  that  remediation of
underlying  impairments  is  the  real  goal. The implication is that if
underlying impairments are remediated, occupation will improve. However,
is  inconsistent  with  OT theory because occupation is ALWAYS more than
physical.  In  my  opinion,  the  second  example is much more like a PT
rather than an OT goal!

In  closing,  writing occupation-based goals is important for us and for
the patient. These goals allow us to focus on occupation's many elements
and complexity to best enable our patients.

Thanks,

Ron Carson MHS, OT
www.OTnow.com