Thanks again!

From: ocil...@comcast.net <ocil...@comcast.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009
To:   otlist@otnow.com <otlist@otnow.com>
Subj: [OTlist] Breaking the Bonds of Upper Extremity OT; Is it even

ocn> Ron, IMO there were many things an OT could have done to assist
ocn> that patient even without directly treating his arm. Pain disrupts
ocn> occupational function in all areas. We can work with chronic pain
ocn> patients to learn relaxation techniques. We can educate them and
ocn> their caregivers on how to prevent further pain and deformity (many
ocn> times CVA patients do make things worse because of dysfunctional
ocn> strageties they develop to perfom self-care, poor arm placement
ocn> during transfer, etc) We can help them learn how to find a chronic
ocn> pain support group or how to find assistive devices on the
ocn> internet. I think patients really have no idea all that OT offers,
ocn> nor often what "occupation" really is. The best way to get OT's out
ocn> of the "UE" box, is to show them what we CAN do for them, rather
ocn> than say "there is nothing we can do, refer to PT" for a patient like that.

ocn> ~Ilene Rosenthal, OTR/L

ocn> From: Ron Carson < rdcar...@otnow.com >
ocn> Subject: [OTlist] Breaking the Bonds of Upper Extremity OT; Is it even
ocn> Possible?
ocn> To: OTlist@OTnow.com
ocn> Date: Monday, April 20, 2009, 4:06 PM

ocn> Hello All:

ocn> A couple weeks ago, I worked with a CVA patient who despite having
ocn> multiple occupational deficits, he was unwilling to verbalize any
ocn> OT-related goals. And after a couple of weeks, the patient was d/c'd.

ocn> The patient's UE and LE were compromised by the CVA. He had almost no
ocn> active movement in his affected arm. His shoulder was extremely painful
ocn> during any AROM.

ocn> I initially told the patient that as an OT, I would address his most
ocn> important occupations but that I could do nothing about his arm. Over
ocn> the? course of? treatment, his wife reported having difficulty bathing
ocn> under the patients arm. After doing some gentle PROM, I concluded that
ocn> there was a possible impingement. I believed an orthopedic appointment
ocn> was necessary. I conferred? with the PT and? she concurred. I
ocn> also
ocn> confirmed that the treating PTA would address
ocn> the shoulder
ocn> ROM/Pain.

ocn> --
ocn> Options?