I  have  had  VERY  few  patients where occupation was limited SOLELY by
decreased strength and ROM. But, I know that it does happen and in those
cases,  I  agree  that  exercises, etc are indicated. But, the "PROBLEM"
with OT is that we only do ROM, strengthening, etc on the UE! Of course,
there are times when UE ROM is the ONLY thing indicated, but these
cases are the vast MINority of adult phys dys patients.

Occupation is a complex interaction of person, environment and activity.
Occupation  includes  SOOOOOO  much more than just physical function. In
fact,  physical function is often NOT the greatest limiting factor, even
when  people  have  physical dysfunction. But, so many OT's are cornered
into  OT = upper extremity and PT = lower extremity. And as long as this
is  their  approach,  OT  has  a  very  slim  chance of TRULY addressing
patient's most desired occupations.

If  OT's  would just ask patients the following questions, the therapist
would  have  a  much  better  idea  of what to do:

1. "When we are done with therapy, what do you want to be better able to
do".

                                  <or>

2.  "What  daily self-care and productivity occupations that you want to
be able to do or do better".

If  a  patient says, "I want to be able to dress myself" and the patient
can't  sit,  stand, walk, move their arm and leg, what is an OT going to
do?  Only  focus  on the arm? If so, how are they addressing occupation?
They aren't! Instead, they are addressing how an arm affects occupation.
And that is not nearly the same as addressing occupation. Talk about not
seeing  the  whole  picture.  Almost  entire  phy-dys  OT  profession is
"guilty" of not seeing the whole picture.

Thanks,

Ron

~~~
Ron Carson MHS, OT