I agree with Ron.  Unless you've been to the home and assessed the layout of
the bathroom (with gloves, paper, pencil and tape measure in hand!) you run the
risk of ordering the wrong item for the patient.

That's where the experience of the home health OT can be valuable; he or
she should know all the different kinds of equipment out there and be in a
position to make the most appropriate recommendations for the patient's needs
and situation.

For example, I've run into so many different styles of toilets that there have
been times where I have had to get down on my knees and inspect the underside
of the porcelain bowl where the toilet seat bolt-holes are, in order to make
sure that large wing-nuts of certain bolt-on raised toilet seats will fit!
It's not always a smooth, flat surface under there...some toilet bowl
manfacturers like to get "fancy" and curvy and stylized, and there's a risk
that the seat won't secure properly and that can be quite a problem, since
those items are non-returnable.

Likewise, tubs come in varying heights, depths and orientations, bathrooms can
be very narrow or cramped.  The patient may have to bring their walker or
cane into the  bathroom, making maneuverability a consideration....adding a
standard-issue tub transfer bench or bedside commode-over-the-toilet may not
work in every situation.

So, as a home health therapist, I do appreciate when the acute care therapists
hold off on ordering equipment, unless they have been out to the home.  I also
appreciate when they talk about equipment with the patient, because they are
then prepared for my assessment.  Sometimes the acute care therapists give the
patient pictures of adaptive equipment and circle the items that they think
they will most likely need, too.  That conveys some continuity of care, in my
opinion, and I think the patients like that.

Susan